Upcycling my Life!

http://upcycleliving.com/

on my daily walk I bumped into a neighbor and we talked about caring for our old dogs.
I found myself saying, "you know, I just like old stuff!"...

old houses
old cars
old people
and
old dogs

And it's true...in my younger days I enjoyed anything new...
my mom and I would visit model homes of new construction to get design ideas. Sometimes we'd even go into an unfinished home to look at the freshly dry-walled spaces full of light and promise.
But I live in an old house, in an old neighborhood, and nothing is plumb, nothing is new, nothing is perfect...sort of like me, it has a patina and a history. 


I love the smell of a new car, but at 12 y.o. with 208,000 miles, I haven't experienced that in quite some time. Even with all of my recent car troubles, I just can't bear the idea of of it filling up a landfill! 
My friends say I need a reliable car but I'm tempted to McGiver it together and keep on goin'!!!



My BFF is a bit older than I am but we get along great. Listening to her gush over her children and grandchildren is delightful. In a way she is like the friend my mom was to me. Since she's been gone I tend to crave the company that older people provide. They have so much wisdom and insight.
Source: acidcow.com via Kari on Pinterest

I love old dogs. My baby is 14 years old and showing signs of slowing down. She's been sick over the past 2 weeks and it's got my heart distressed. Though I love just looking at puppies, caring for them can be challenging!
 I'm here for my old baby as long as she decides to stay...or until she joins her nana in heaven.


And then there's me...!
As I steadily approach the next decade of my life, things are starting to break down...loosing weight has been good for my body but the exercise has aggravated my arthritis. I keep going, hoping that the LESS I weigh the LESS pain I will feel, but 40 lbs later, I'm still hurtin' and I need to build more muscle. No pain, No gain (they say)  :-(


Source: flickr.com via Tonje on Pinterest

To think that I have 20 more working years and several years until I'm free from some major financial obligations, it makes me wonder if I'll have any retirement life and funds to enjoy and share. Will I need a new car, will I be healthy, will I be able to maintain my home and lawn, will I be alone, will I be a good servant and wise friend to younger folks?

(loved that movie...!)

Maybe that's why it's so hard for me to get rid of old things and replace them with the new. 
I've decided that I prefer to Upcycle as many parts of my life as possible.

Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value.

Useless, old, vintage, whatever you want to call it, I think there's value in trying to not only salvage whatever you can but celebrate it! 
Have you ever seen the documentary OBJECTIFIED by Gary Hustwit? 
Look up the term Planned Obsolescence.


Well, I'm not really worried about my shelf life, I just need to make some wise decisions regarding my future AND I have to trust that no matter what happens, God is the source of my strength, my light and reason for living. He UPCYCLES me everyday by the power of Jesus Christ and I'm so grateful for the second, third and fourth chances!!!

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. [psalm 13:12]


Upcycle Something Old Today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Perfect Day on a Very Sad One.

Bloggin Blues

Zero Budget D.I.Y.