One Shot, Straight to the Hip

I may have told you about the intense pain I have had in my hips. 
It's halted most of my physical activity and I admit, I've been a little out of it!

Well, I have osteoarthritis...
I haven't had any traumatic injuries, don't have a family history of it and I'm still relatively young.
But my doctor says that I'm showing signs of it in both of my hips and my lower back.



The Orthopedic doctor said I have 3 choices:

  1. Continue on pain killers
  2. Get a cortisone shot in the joints
  3. Do full hip replacement surgery  :-(


I decided that I wanted to get the cortisone shot in the hip IMMEDIATELY, but my insurance company slowed down the process and it took exactly one month and a ton of phone calls to make that happen.


So, does that mean I'll be doing this


any time soon?


Well, besides the fact that I have to limit the amount of shots that I can get, there are some risks associated with them:

  • Death of nearby bone (osteonecrosis)
  • Joint infection
  • Nerve damage
  • Skin and soft tissue thinning around injection site
  • Temporary flare of pain and inflammation in the joint
  • Tendon weakening or rupture
  • Thinning of nearby bone (osteoporosis)
  • Whitening or lightening of the skin around injection site
Source: The Mayo Clinic
And in the meantime, 
I'm doing some research on hip replacement 
(and how to avoid it)




http://www.livestrong.com/article/322895-exercises-to-prevent-a-hip-replacement/


I'm hoping that I'm as good as new, 
as soon as possible!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Perfect Day on a Very Sad One.

Bloggin Blues

Zero Budget D.I.Y.