My house is NOT busting at the seams





Every time I watch ABC's "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" I find myself fighting back the tears. There are so many people, so willing to take in children who need a home, even if their own home isn't perfect. They are such selfless and caring people who are living under dire conditions. Tonight, "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" built a home for the 13 member, Hill family. It's not hard to get swept up in the love this family has for one another.

It is there that I usually stop myself and say, "I can't do that as a single woman, I need to work and the kids would just be carted off to day care all day long" or I'll say "I can barely support my self and my little dog, let alone a family".

During my last house renovation, a woman in the neighborhood was admiring the changes I had made. She said, "I can tell that this is what you're passionate about." I thought about it for a moment and replied, "I'd really like to provide affordable yet stylish housing by just recycling old, ugly or abandoned homes, making them functional again." I couldn't believe those words came out of my mouth, because I still have no idea HOW I would do that?!

My mom taught me many things, but mostly not to be a naysayer!
Mark 10:27 says, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

There are things that I'd like to do my home (take down some dead trees, do some much needed landscaping, repair some rotten trim, fix the basement, add more bedrooms and bathrooms, etc.), but who would that benefit? Though I am content being a S.I.N.K. (single with no kids), I often wonder if I'm being selfish with all that I've been blessed with.

In a nearby town, whole neighborhoods have been devastated by the foreclosure crisis. Some of these bank owned homes are listed for sale from $11,000-$50,000.
Hard to believe, right? Why do we have so many homeless families AND empty dwellings?
These houses need some TLC, but would make wonderful homes for so many families.

This adorable house recently went under contract! It's asking price was $29,000!

Meanwhile, I dream of seeing a whole neighborhood transformed and "recycled", and perhaps, God willing, that I may serve as a Foster parent or adopt some children that are in need of a loving family.
Then, maybe, MY home and heart WILL be busting at the seams!


btw, I just saw a segment on the local news about Warrick Dunn, whose mother died when he was young. She had always wanted to purchase a home of her own. Warrick, who is a Falcon Football player, has assisted more than 85 single parents with becoming homeowners!
He's realizing his dream!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Perfect Day on a Very Sad One.

Bloggin Blues

Zero Budget D.I.Y.