What's in a Name?


This morning a sudden realization was placed on my heart.

What does the word Glorious really mean?

1. Exhibiting attributes, qualities, or acts that are worthy of or receive glory; noble; praiseworthy; excellent; splendid; illustrious; inspiring admiration; as, glorious deeds. [1913 Webster]

These are thy glorious works, Parent of good ! --Milton. [1913 Webster]

2. Eager for glory or distinction; haughty; boastful; ostentatious; vainglorious. [Obs.] [1913 Webster]

Most miserable Is the desire that's glorious. --Shak. [1913 Webster]

3. Ecstatic; hilarious; elated with drink. [Colloq.] [1913 Webster]

kings may be blest, but Tam was glorious, O'er all the ills of life victorious. --Burns. [1913 Webster]

During his office treason was no crime, The sons of Belial had a glorious time. --Dryden.

Syn: Eniment; noble; excellent; renowned; illustrious; celebrated; magnificent; grand; splendid. -- Glo"ri*ous*ly, adv. -- Glo"ri*ous*ness, n. --Udall. [1913 Webster]

Sing ye to the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously. --Ex. xv. 21. [1913 Webster]

I speak it not gloriously, nor out of affectation. --B. Jonson. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48


Above all, these verses, in particular, stuck out:


"Blessed be your glorious name, and may it be exalted above all blessing and praise." Nehemiah 9:5

"Praise be to his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory. Amen and Amen." Psalm 72:19

In fact, the word glorious is used more than 50 times in the bible, most referring to God and his name, presence, grace, joy, throne, riches, splendor, beauty, crown. If Glorious refers to God and his holiness, who am I to use it to describe the delights of things that I can only see: earthly, material things that can burn up in a fire?

As a child, my grandmother sang the "count your blessings" song to me, and she lived by example. She also taught me to stop and smell the roses on a regular basis. So, I am trying to appreciate those things that I would otherwise take for granted.

My original idea for the name of this blog was to show how grateful I am for the small things, in this time of my life when I don't have plenty, when loosing my job, home and "things" is a real possibility. Rather than wince, I'm trying to simply appreciate my surroundings and circumstances "today" and dwell on the things that are eternal. Finding delight in the mundane causes me to view average/everyday stuff as glorious, but temporal.

So, as I contemplate my blog name, and the increasingly large pile of things I have to do this week, I'm in a temporary holding pattern until I get some clarity on the subject from the one whos name is Glorious.

have a great week!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Perfect Day on a Very Sad One.

Bloggin Blues

Zero Budget D.I.Y.